Hello and welcome everyone to another Fey Fitness video! In this tutorial I will show you the proper technique for performing a crunch.
Our abs are so important to keeping a healthy core. So to continue on with our abdominal muscle theme, let’s learn how to do a crunch with good form.
- Put on some comfortable workout clothing that will allow for core movement and lay down on your back. Place your feet flat on the ground so your knees are bent and you are comfortable in this position.
- Tip: If you would like to increase the intensity of this workout, put your feet in the air with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle. This will mean that your calves are parallel to the floor.
- Next, place your hands lightly on either side of your head, or keep them straight alongside your body.
- Tip: Try not to intertwine your fingers behind your head and pull. This can cause injuries to your neck or head
- Now you want to engage your abdominal muscles and press the small of your back into the floor beneath you so your spine is flat against the ground.
- Slowly roll your upper body forward and off the ground. Be sure to keep your abs tight and your lower back flat as you raise your chest and shoulders off the ground. This exercise does not require that you come all the way into a sitting position. In fact, you should be off the floor only about four inches, just enough for your shoulder blades to come up off the floor.
- Tip: Don’t use a “bouncing” motion by relaying on your body weight to get you into the upwards or downwards motion. Keep a nice slow pace so your core is engaged the entire time.
- Tip: Don’t come too far off the ground when you crunch. An exaggerated high crunch takes the tension off of your abdominis muscles and puts the intensity onto the hip flexors instead.
- On the way down, keep your abs engaged and slowly come down into a starting position.
- Tip: The way down is the second half of your crunch, so don’t cheat yourself by relaxing too soon.
- Repeat for 20 Reps for 2-3 sets.
As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!