Hello and welcome to another episode of Fey Fitness!
Today’s exercise is atrial fibrillation approved because it will work your core and low back without spiking your heart rate to unsafe levels. What could be this mystery exercise you ask? Why, the bird dog, of course!
The Bird Dog exercise is a simple and fun exercise that focuses on the core, low back and overall balance. Give this exercise a whirl the next time you are at the gym, or during commercial breaks of your favorite show at home, and experience the benefits of this easy move.
I love this exercise because it improves core and low back strength, increases stability and can be done virtually anywhere! Additionally, this exercise is great for AFib clients because it gives a great workout without them having to worry about their heart rate getting too high, so it can be performed by a wide variety of clients with varying degrees of AFib severity.
- Start off by putting on some comfy workout clothes and grabbing your yoga mat.
- Get on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees straight under your hips. Keep your back nice and curved while your core stayed nice and tight.
- To perform this move bring your right arm straight out in front of you (parallel to the floor) while you extend your left leg (which will also be parallel to the floor). Hold this position for 2 seconds.
Pro Tip: Try to keep your hips parallel to the floor. I see a lot of newbies twist their hips to the side as they bring their leg up. If you are near a mirror when performing this exercise for the first time, just glance over and make sure your hips are in proper alignment to build the correct muscle memory.
- Next, return the right arm and left leg to the starting position and repeat the move with the left arm and right leg. Hold for 2 seconds then return to the starting position.
- Repeat these motions for 15 reps and 3 sets.
As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!