Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I am teaching you how to do an advanced plank exercise that I call a Plank Elevator. This exercise is perfect for someone who is at a more advanced fitness level and is looking to mix up their core and lower body workout routine.
I love planks for three main reasons. For one, a plank is a total body exercise that engages everything from your head to your toes. Two, there are about a thousand different versions of planks, each that can target specific muscles more than the rest to create a fully customized fitness routine. And three, is that performing a plank isn’t very time consuming. Most people need between 90 seconds to three minutes in order to reap the benefits of various plank exercises.
So with all that said, let’s dive into this exercise! With this workout you’re really targeting the core muscles to take your core workout up a notch. Generally, plank exercises work the abs, glutes, chest and back muscles. (So this one exercise is a great way to hit several muscle groups at once!) And in order to really focus on the core we are going to add the elevator portion of this exercise to make those abs really work while moving the legs.
How to Perform a Plank Elevator (also known as a Plank Knee-to-Elbow Drop):
- Lay down on your stomach on a yoga mat or soft patch of carpet.
- Come up onto your hands and toes with your back and straight as a board. Keep the hands and arms directly under your shoulders, and your core tight and engaged.
- When you are ready, engage your core and bring your right knee to touch your right elbow.
- Now lower the right knee down along your right arm to your wrist.
- Raise the knee back up to the elbow.
- Return the right knee to the starting position.
- Now repeat this process on the left side.
- Continue alternating sides for 10 reps and for 3 sets. Alternatively, you can set a timer and repeat steps 1-5 for 30 seconds to 1 minute as one set, and repeat this set for 3 more times.
My recommendation is to perform this exercise along with your regular core workout routine to get the best results. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me and I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
As with all planks, I enjoy this exercise for the great benefits it brings to my arms, back, booty and hamstrings, but also because it doesn’t spike my heart rate and interfere with my Atrial Fibrillation. As long as you are breathing throughout the exercise the heart rate should stay within a safe range and you can easily perform this exercise without worry of having an Atrial Fibrillation episode.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!