Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I am teaching you how to do another advanced plank exercise called a Knee to Opposite Elbow Plank. This exercise is perfect for someone who is at an intermediate or advanced fitness level and is looking to mix up their core and lower body workout routine.
I love planks for three main reasons. For one, a plank is a total body exercise that engages everything from your head to your toes. Two, there are about a thousand different versions of planks, each that can target specific muscles more than the rest to create a fully customized fitness routine. And three, is that performing a plank isn’t very time consuming. Most people need between 90 seconds to three minutes in order to reap the benefits of various plank exercises.
Why Do a Knee to Opposite Elbow Plank?
- Planks really work that core! The entire abdominal cavity needs to be strong and engaged in order to keep you in this position, so you are strengthening your tummy for a sexy summer body.
- The slight twisting motion that occurs from bringing the knee to your opposite elbow also makes the oblique muscles work extra hard- which maximizes the benefit to your abdominal cavity and helps tone your mid-section.
- You are also working on your balance by being in a plank. Being able to bring your right knee to your left elbow (and vice versa) takes some coordination and balance in order to perform this movement, so the body engages more stabilizer muscles to keep you steady during the exercise. This translates to better balance and stability when you are performing daily tasks or going out into the world.
- Lifting the leg and bringing it to that opposite elbow works the entire leg (glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, adductors, abductors) during the movement. Also, the leg that is supporting you by keeping you off the ground is getting a great workout as well.
How to Perform a Knee to Opposite Elbow Plank:
- Bust out a yoga mat or other surface that is level and won’t hurt your feet or forearms.
- Come up onto your hands and feet with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Engage your core and keep your spine is straight and your body is in a straight line from head to toes. NOTE: If you need to, tighten that booty to give some extra support to your low back while in this position.
- When you are ready, bring your right knee forward and across the body to touch your left elbow.
- Once the knee is as close to your elbow as you can get it, return to the starting position.
- Now you can repeat steps 1 to 6 on the other side with your left knee.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6, 10-15 times.
- Continue rotating sides for 2-3 sets.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!