Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I am teaching you how to do a beginner level core exercise that many fitness enthusiasts call Scissor Kicks. This exercise will focus on your lower abdominis muscles and hip flexors to strengthen and tone them. Having a strong lower core and hip flexors are important for everyday mobility, like walking or getting out of chairs, but they also help stabilize our hips to reduce low back pain. If you have a job that requires you to sit for long periods of time, then I highly recommend strengthening your lower abdominis muscles and your hip flexors.
Additionally, this exercise is perfect for those of us with Atrial Fibrillation, as it will not spike our heart rate during the movements. Just be careful getting down onto the ground and back up again if you have severe AFib, or problems with your blood pressure. Remember, slow and steady wins the fitness race!
Why Do a Scissor Kick Exercise?
- Scissor Kicks work the lower abdominis muscles, which are often overlooked in ab workouts. For women who have had children, this area can become weak after childbirth, and strengthening this area can lead to better core stability and decreased back pain.
- A strong core also helps us with the rest of our fitness lives. A well-conditioned core helps keep us steady and our posture safe during weighted squats, during an Arnold Press, or when performing back exercises.
- Our hip flexors work to move our legs forward when walking, so they are very important to keep strong and toned.
- Hip flexors also are responsible for helping to stabilize our hips, which in turn keeps our low back in proper alignment to reduce back pain or any range of motion issues.
How to Perform Scissor Kicks:
- Lay on your back on a soft surface such as a yoga mat or carpeted area.
- Bring your straight legs up into the air until you feel your lower ab and hip flexor muscles engage. Hold this starting position.
- Keeping the legs straight, expand the legs outward as far as you can.
- Now bring both legs together, but allow the right leg to pass smoothly above the left while the other leg crosses under the right.
- Expand the legs wide again.
- Bring the legs together with the left leg passing over the right, while the right leg passes under the left leg. This is one repetition.
- Repeat this motion 15 times for 3 sets.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!
2 thoughts on “Get Toned and Flat Low Abs with Scissor Kicks!”
Thank you for your videos. I’m doing my best as a 47 year old guy not to get fatter and lazier. Enjoy your weekend.
Wade in Olympia
Hi Wade! Thank you for following my videos. It’s great to hear that you are staying active, if you ever need any support I’m here for you. Have a great rest of your weekend too.