Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I am teaching you how to do an intermediate to Advanced level core exercise called a Marvin Hagler. Don’t let the funny name confuse you, Marvin Hagler was an American boxer who had his heyday in the spotlight around 1973-1987. Marvin was a middleweight champion throughout the 80’s, and this sit-up move is named after him.
The move itself is similar in some regards to a V-Sit, where the legs and upperbody come up off the ground to meet one another. So you may see some familiarities between the two moves being performed. However, the main difference is that a Marvin Hagler sit-up brings the knees in to meet the chest. Don’t worry, I’ll explain in more detail here in a minute.
Additionally, this exercise is perfect for those of us with Atrial Fibrillation, as it will not spike our heart rate during the movements. Just be careful getting down onto the ground and back up again if you have severe AFib, or problems with your blood pressure. Remember, slow and steady wins the fitness race!
Why Do a Marvin Hagler?
- CORE STRENGTH! CORE STRENGTH! CORE STRENGTH! A strong core also helps us with the rest of our fitness lives. A well-conditioned core helps keep us steady and our posture safe during weighted squats, during an Arnold Press, or when performing back exercises.
- Work multiple areas of the core at once. This move target the rectus abdominis, the external obliques, internal obliques, and hip flexors at the same time, so you get more accomplished during your workout.
- Improve your balance. You all know by now that I love exercises that increase balance, because it is so useful in our everyday lives. From simple tasks like getting out of bed in the morning, to walking down stairs, better balance means a better quality of life.
- The hip adductors and quadriceps will get a slight workout from this exercise, which will make them stronger for activities like running, walking or getting out of chairs.
How to Perform a Marvin Hagler:
- Lay on your back on a soft surface such as a yoga mat or carpeted area.
- Bring your straight legs up into the air until you feel your lower ab and hip flexor muscles engage. Hold this starting position.
- Engage your core muscles and sit up as high as you can, with your arms parallel to the floor, while bringing your knees up to meet your chest. PRO TIP: To really get those abs nice and strong, hold the top of this position (with the knees almost touching the chest) for a second or two.
- Slowly lower your upper body back to the floor and bring your legs down until they hover parallel to the ground.
- Repeat this motion 15 times for 3 sets.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!
2 thoughts on “Marvin Hagler Sit-Ups for Amazing Core Strength!”
Hi there! Such a wonderful post, thank you!
Thank you so much, Andre!