Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I have a challenge for you all! The Baby Deer is a leg day burnout that I’ve been having my clients perform recently, and they’ve really loved it. So I thought I would extend the offer to you all to perform this lower body challenge as well to see how you liked it.
Why is it called a Baby Deer? Because after you complete this challenge your legs will be so tired that you will walk like a baby deer learning how to walk for the first time! It’s a challenge that sounds so simple, yet is killer for the legs.
Why do a Wall Squat? Wall Squats are the perfect exercise for someone with knee injuries or heart conditions, as it is easy on the knee joint and low impact on the heart so as not to complicate cardiac conditions. This bodyweight movement will not place undue stress on the knee joint like a normal squat can do, so individuals recovering from knee injuries, tightness, or pain are able to perform this exercise with much greater ease than a normal bodyweight squat.
However, if you have questions about your knee safety, please consult with your physician and feel free to message me for information more specific to your situation. Further, this move does require a sturdy wall or other vertical surface, so in order to perform this exercise you will need to find a portion of your home that has enough space for this particular movement.
Moreover, squat holds are an isometric exercise where the leg muscles are activated and working hard- but you never have to move a muscle! This means you can still get good gains from this movement, without bending the knee and aggravating old knee injuries. Simply come down into a normal squat and hold this position for as long as you can. It’s really that easy to work your muscles!
Additionally, this exercise is perfect for those of us with Atrial Fibrillation, as it will not spike our heart rate during the movements. Just be careful getting down onto the ground and back up again if you have severe AFib, or problems with your blood pressure. Remember, slow and steady wins the fitness race!
Why Do a Baby Deer Challenge?
• Wall Squats and Squat Holds strengthen the muscles of the entire leg. Our leg muscles are some of the largest muscle groups in the body, so by working your legs you are creating one of the most time-efficient ways to burn more calories and build strong muscles!
• When you perform these two exercises you build lower body muscles, and help your muscles work more efficiently, by building neuro-muscular connections. This means that you will be able to move more efficiently in the real world doing your normal, everyday tasks.
• Improve your balance. You all know by now that I love exercises that increase balance, because it is so useful in our everyday lives. From simple tasks like getting out of bed in the morning, to walking down stairs, better balance means a better quality of life.
• The hip flexors will get a slight workout from this exercise, which will make them stronger for activities like running, walking or getting out of chairs.
How to Perform a Baby Deer:
1. Begin by performing 60 Wall Squats.
2. Then immediately come into a low squat and hold this position for between 1-3 minutes. Start off with 1 minute for beginners and increase your time in the squat position according to your level of physical fitness.
3. And you’re done! Now try walking! 🙂
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to my youtube channel at Fey Fitness .
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!