Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today we are taking a little break from the Stronger Back Series to talk about our core. I was worried you all might be getting sick of back workouts and exercises, so here is an easy ab exercise you can do from the comfort of your own home.
Why Do a Chest Lift?
- A strong core also helps us with the rest of our fitness lives. A well-conditioned core helps keep us steady and our posture safe during weighted squats, during an Arnold Press, or when performing back exercises.
- Our transverse abdominal muscles are located deep within our core to assist us with breathing, and to keep our internal organs stable inside our abdominal cavity. These muscles also help protect our spine during movement.
- The rectus abdominis muscle is our main showcase muscle when people talk about wanting sexy, toned abs. This muscle sits at the surface of our core and is what gives that “six pack” abs look to athletes. But our rectus abdominis does more than make us look like Grecian Gods, it allows us to flex our spine (bring our ribs closer to our hips), and stabilizes our core during movement or bending motions.
How to Perform a Chest Lift:
- Lay on a soft surface that won’t hurt your back with your knees bent and feet planted firmly on the floor. For a more advanced workout you can place your legs and feet in a table top position with the knees and hips at a 90 degree angle.
- For a beginner workout, place your hands gently behind your head and keep your elbows wide, but still in your peripheral vision. For more advanced versions your arms can be pointed straight up towards the ceiling, or kept parallel to the floor.
- Tuck your chin slightly to better stabilize the spine and neck.
- Engage your core and raise your sternum up and towards the sky. Try to raise yourself up off the floor enough so most of your shoulder blade is off the ground.
- As you exhale, slowly lower yourself back down into the starting position.
- Repeat this motion 12-15 reps for 3 sets.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!