Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! In this video we are exploring a beginner level chest exercise called a Single Arm Dumbbell Chest Press. Gosh, fitness people really like to name things crazy complicated things! But don’t worry, this exercise is perfect for a beginner despite the oddly long title.
Why Do a Single Arm Dumbbell Chest Press?
- This exercise emphasizes strength in the body and helps create toned muscles.
- Single arm chest presses require more core, shoulder and triceps stability in order to complete the movement.
- Working on these muscle groups helps you build stability, strength and power in your upper body. This will allow you to have more functional mobility in your everyday life.
- Working just one side of the body at a time allows you an opportunity to really focus on form and bodily awareness. So you can perfect your technique before complicating things by adding another arm into the mix.
How to Perform a Single Arm Dumbbell Chest Press:
- Lay down on your back with your shoulders rolled back and your shoulder blades firmly planted on the bench beneath you.
- Keep the dumbbell resting on your thigh until you are ready to raise it into position.
- Firmly plant your feet flat on the ground.
- When you are ready, use your thigh to help you get the dumbbell up over your best. If you need to, use the arm you are not lifting with to help position the dumbbell over you properly.
- Extend your arm with the dumbbell straight up with your palm facing the midline of the body. This is your starting position.
- Bring the hand with the dumbbell down slowly to your side as you breathe in. Keep full control of the dumbbell at all times.
- Exhale and return the dumbbell straight up and to the starting position.
- Repeat this motion 12-15 reps on each side for 4 sets total.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!