Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Snowmageddon is officially upon us where I live, with most of the people I know have been stuck at home for several days now. Even while I write this it is continuing to snow outside, so it doesn’t look like the end is in sight for us quite yet. With that in mind, some friends of mine have asked for a simple workout they can do at home to keep themselves in shape until the sled dog teams can come rescue us and take us to the local gym. So I decided to do things a little different this week and provide everyone with a simple upper body workout anyone can do at home with a chair and a dumbbell.
Why Do an Upper Body Workout?
- This exercise emphasizes strength in the body and helps create toned muscles.
- Single arm chest presses require more core, shoulder and triceps stability in order to complete the movement.
- Working on these muscle groups helps you build stability, strength and power in your upper body. This will allow you to have more functional mobility in your everyday life.
- Working just one side of the body at a time allows you an opportunity to really focus on form and bodily awareness. So you can perfect your technique before complicating things by adding another arm into the mix.
- Using dumbbells allows you to achieve a greater range of motion and work the back muscles (in this case the latissimus dorsi, rhomboids, lower traps and erector spinae) more effectively.
- Breaking the exercise up and focusing on one side at a time allows for intense focus to each side of your back individually, so beginners can feel the muscles engaging throughout the movement to work on form and efficiency of movement.
- By increasing our muscle mass and lowering our body fat we reshape our back’s landscape. Reshaping the upper body in this manner can make us appear slimmer because the “V” shape starts at the back by being widest near the shoulders and tapering in at the waist. This is useful in creating that hourglass shape so many women want; and that “V” shape creates the desired shape so many men are after.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
Additionally, this exercise is perfect for those of us with Atrial Fibrillation, as it will not spike our heart rate during the movements. Just be careful getting down onto the ground and back up again if you have severe AFib, or problems with your blood pressure. Remember, slow and steady wins the fitness race!
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!