Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! In this video we are exploring a beginner level core exercise called a Double Leg Table Top Bend and Extend (also called a Double Leg Bend and Extend). This move is a more advanced version for the Single Leg Table Top Bend and Extend, but is still easy enough for a novice gym rat to perform.
Why Do a Double Leg Table Top Bend and Extend?
- By tensing your core muscles you keep the back in proper position to protect it during abdominal exercise. So basically, you are working your abs while keeping the back safe.
- Performing this movement helps correct the pelvic tilt seen in people who sit for long periods of time.
- Lumbo-hip-pelvic stabilizer muscles are also engaged to strengthen the hips and protect the back.
- Motor control is also increased in the body. This means that your body moves more smoothly and effectively when asked to perform movements, such as lifting weights, rearranging furniture in the living room, or getting in and out of bed.
- Work multiple areas of the core at once. This move target the rectus abdominis, the transverse abdominis and hip flexors at the same time- so you get more accomplished during your workout.
- Improve your balance. You all know by now that I love exercises that increase balance, because it is so useful in our everyday lives. From simple tasks like getting out of bed in the morning, to walking down stairs, better balance means a better quality of life.
- The hip adductors and quadriceps will get a slight workout from this exercise, which will make them stronger for activities like running, walking or getting out of chairs.
- CORE STRENGTH! CORE STRENGTH! CORE STRENGTH! A strong core also helps us with the rest of our fitness lives. A well-conditioned core helps keep us steady and our posture safe during weighted squats, during an Arnold Press, or when performing back exercises.
How to Perform a Double Leg Table Top Bend and Extend:
- Lay down on your back with your shoulders rolled back and your shoulder blades firmly planted on the ground beneath you.
- Move your hips into either neutral or imprint, depending on what feels best for you.
- Knit the ribs down and inward to engage your deep core muscles.
- When you are ready, bring both legs up into table top.
- Slowly extend both legs in unison to from table top to a fully extended straight line. Think of yourself as skimming your heels over the top of an imaginary table to keep the legs steady and stable.
- Moving just as slow, return the legs to table top.
- Continue moving in this manner for 12-15 reps and for 3 sets total.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!