Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! In this video we are exploring an intermediate level exercise called Airplane in Pilates. This exercise is amazing for your abdominals, obliques and erector spinae muscles.
Additionally, this exercise is perfect for those of us with Atrial Fibrillation, as it will not spike our heart rate during the movements. Just be careful getting down onto the ground and back up again if you have severe AFib, or problems with your blood pressure. Remember, slow and steady wins the fitness race!
Why Do Airplane?
- Work multiple areas of the core at once. This move target the rectus abdominis, the transverse abdominis and obliques at the same time- so you get more accomplished during your workout.
- Improve your balance. You all know by now that I love exercises that increase balance, because it is so useful in our everyday lives. From simple tasks like getting out of bed in the morning, to walking down stairs, better balance means a better quality of life.
- CORE STRENGTH! CORE STRENGTH! CORE STRENGTH! A strong core also helps us with the rest of our fitness lives. A well-conditioned core helps keep us steady and our posture safe during weighted squats, during an Arnold Press, or when performing back exercises.
How to Perform Airplane:
- Sit on a box or other elevated, solid surface.
- Place the outer leg under a heavy strap or against a solid surface to brace yourself against and feel safe.
- Keeping your hips and spine in a neutral alignment, place your hands in your hair. PRO TIP: Never place your hands on your head, as you may tug or pull on your head and hurt your cervical spine (neck).
- Side bend over to your full range of motion.
- Rotate your thoracic cavity away from the leg in the strap while keeping your neutral spinal alignment.
- Optional: Open the arms wide like an airplane.
- Use your core to slowly return yourself back to the starting position.
- Continue moving in this manner for 12-15 reps and then switch to the other side to balance yourself out. Be sure to repeat for 3-4 sets total.
- My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!