Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I am teaching you how to do a beginner level exercise called a Quadruped Leg Circle. This exercise can be a great starting point for a beginner because it will work the total body, but have an emphasis on the legs and core. The main thing to remember is to keep your back as straight as possible to not put unnecessary pressure on your spine.
So with all that said, let’s dive into this exercise! With this workout you’re really getting a big bang for your buck. Plank and quadruped exercises work the abs, glutes, chest and back muscles. So this one exercise is a great way to hit several muscle groups at once! However, by adding in the addition of the leg circles we are targeting the glutes and legs to further enhance the muscle growth to these areas- and muscle growth means lean, toned and sexy muscles!
Why Do a Quadruped Leg Circle?
• Motor control is increased in the body by strengthening the hip adductors. This means that your body moves more smoothly and effectively when performing bilateral and unilateral movements, such as lifting weights, rearranging furniture in the living room, or getting in and out of bed.
• Improve your balance. You all know by now that I love exercises that increase balance, because it is so useful in our everyday lives. From simple tasks like getting out of bed in the morning, to walking down stairs, better balance means a better quality of life.
• The hip flexors and hip abductors will get a slight workout from this exercise, which will make them stronger for activities like running, walking or getting out of chairs.
• Work multiple areas of the core at once. This move target the rectus abdominis, the transverse abdominis and hip flexors at the same time- so you get more accomplished during your workout.
• Working on these muscle groups helps you build stability, strength and power in your upper body. This will allow you to have more functional mobility in your everyday life.
• This exercise emphasizes strength in the body and helps create toned muscles.
• Also the gluteus maximus, a prime muscle for hip extension, gets a good workout from this movement. The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in the body, and the one most people are looking to shape and strengthen with the squat and deadlift. So just remember, strong glutes equal a shapely booty!
How to Perform a Quadruped Leg Circle:
- Come onto your hands and knees on a soft surface like a yoga mat. Make sure your knees are directly under your hips and your hands are under your shoulders.
- Keeping the core engaged and the back straight, extend the right leg out behind you and begin tracing small circles in a clockwise or counterclockwise motion.
- Perform the desired number of reps and then make circles in the other direction on the same leg.
- Bring the right leg back to the starting quadruped position.
- Now repeat this process with the left leg.
- Continue alternating legs for 10 reps and for 3 sets. Alternatively, you can set a timer and repeat steps 1-5 for 30 seconds to 1 minute as one set, and repeat this set for 3 more times.
My recommendation is to perform this exercise along with your lower body workout routine get the best results. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me and I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
I love this exercise for the great benefits it brings to my arms, back, booty and hamstrings, but also because it doesn’t spike my heart rate and interfere with my Atrial Fibrillation. As long as you are breathing throughout the exercise the heart rate should stay within a safe range and you can easily perform this exercise without worry of having an Atrial Fibrillation episode.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!