Hello and welcome everyone to another edition of Fey Fitness! Today I am teaching you how to do a beginner level leg exercise routine. There are three different moves in this video, but all of them require being in a quadruped position to maximize lower body engagement.
So with all that said, let’s dive into this exercise! With this workout you’re really getting a big bang for your buck. Plank and quadruped exercises work the abs, glutes, chest and back muscles. So this one exercise is a great way to hit several muscle groups at once! However, by adding in the various exercises, we are targeting the glutes and legs to further enhance the muscle growth to these areas- and muscle growth means lean, toned and sexy muscles!
Why Do a This Leg Routine?
• Motor control is increased in the body by strengthening the hip adductors. This means that your body moves more smoothly and effectively when performing bilateral and unilateral movements, such as lifting weights, rearranging furniture in the living room, or getting in and out of bed.
• Improve your balance. You all know by now that I love exercises that increase balance, because it is so useful in our everyday lives. From simple tasks like getting out of bed in the morning, to walking down stairs, better balance means a better quality of life.
• The hip flexors and hip abductors will get a slight workout from this exercise, which will make them stronger for activities like running, walking or getting out of chairs.
• Work multiple areas of the core at once. This move target the rectus abdominis, the transverse abdominis and hip flexors at the same time- so you get more accomplished during your workout.
• Working on these muscle groups helps you build stability, strength and power in your upper body. This will allow you to have more functional mobility in your everyday life.
• This exercise emphasizes strength in the body and helps create toned muscles.
• Also the gluteus maximus, a prime muscle for hip extension, gets a good workout from this movement. The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in the body, and the one most people are looking to shape and strengthen with the squat and deadlift. So just remember, strong glutes equal a shapely booty!
How to Perform These Exercises:
1. Come onto your hands and knees on a soft surface. Make sure your knees are directly under your hips and your hands are under your shoulders.
2. Keeping the core engaged and the back straight, and place a resistance band, or Pilates loop, around the arch of your foot.
3. For the first exercise, lower the foot straight down to a 90 degree angle with your hip and use your glutes and hamstrings to draw the leg straight up and out behind you.
4. Repeat for the desired number of reps on each side.
5. The second exercise requires opening the leg outward, away from the midline of the body, to bring the 90 degree straight leg parallel to the floor. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 in this new position.
6. The final exercise uses the same starting position as Step 5, but this time the leg will raise and lower vertically, rather than move along a horizontal axis.
My recommendation is to perform this exercise along with your lower body workout routine get the best results. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me and I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
I love this exercise for the great benefits it brings to my arms, back, booty and hamstrings, but also because it doesn’t spike my heart rate and interfere with my Atrial Fibrillation. As long as you are breathing throughout the exercise the heart rate should stay within a safe range and you can easily perform this exercise without worry of having an Atrial Fibrillation episode.
My goal is to empower you to feel confident and informed so you can get the most satisfying workout possible. So please let me know how I can better help you achieve that goal. As always, please like and subscribe to this channel to stay up to date on new content, and head on over to Instagram (@fey_fitness) to give me a follow or to my YouTube at Fey Fitness.
My Patreon page is now live, so please go show some love there as well. I’d like to make some upgrades to my videos to enhance your viewing pleasure, and any support would be greatly appreciated!